This article will try and provide interesting facts about coyotes that we think you weren't aware of:
1. The coyote has a very developed sense of smell which he uses for finding food and avoiding dangerous predators. They use their smell to spot a prey that is scurrying below the snow.
2. Coyotes use a wide variety of vocalizations in order to communicate with one another. Howls, yelps, and high-pitched cries are best known, but they also bark, growl, wail, and squeal sometimes. Family groups yelping in unison can create the illusion of a dozen or more performing together. Coyotes are most often heard around dawn and dusk. However, they may respond to sirens and fire whistles at any time of day or night.
3. As an aggressive gesture, the coyote's tail becomes bushier and turns sideways.
4. In order to not get detected by predators, sometimes coyotes walk on their toes to make as little noise as possible.
5. Just like dogs, coyotes use their urine in order to mark their territory.
6. Coyotes use holes for sleeping and when they give birth to their pups.
7. The coyote is most active during the early morning hours and at twilight.
8. Another similarity with the dog regards the fact that when a coyote is scared, it will hold its head low and tuck its tail between the legs.
9. Although a coyote reaches sexual maturity at the age of 1, he usually mates after he reaches 2 years of age.
10. The coyote doesn't hunt alone; usually they hunt in groups of 2-3.
11. Their diet consists of rabbits, insects, mice, fruits, lizards and other foods as well.
12. For hunting practice for their pups, coyotes supply live mice to their cubs.
13. Coyotes select a mate when they are around 2 years old and stay with him/her throughout their life.
14. The coyote is able to detect hunters coming from a mile away or even more.
15. The coyote reaches a respectable speed of 40 miles per hour.
16. In a female litter of pups they usually have 5-7. The maximum they have is nineteen. They usually breed in February and it takes about 60 to 63 days. Later on, in late April or May they start feeding at one year and then for the rest of their lives.
17. The main enemies of the coyote are bears, wolves and of course, humans. Coyotes are able to escape their enemies easier as they have great swimming abilities. They also regulate their body temperature by panting.
18. Only 5-20% of coyote pups survive their first year.
19. Coyotes can breed with both domestic dogs and wolves. A dog-coyote mix is called a "coydog."
20. The eastern coyotes are generally larger in size than their western counterparts and recent genetic research has attributed the eastern coyote's larger size to interbreeding with Canadian gray wolves.
All in all, the coyote is one of the most interesting creatures on this earth and people should try giving them the attention they need.
Summary: This article presents 20 interesting facts about the coyote.
About Author: Razvan Marian Jr. is the manager of www.coyotehuntinginfo.com where readers can learn more about coyote hunting.
Video Source: Youtube
Images supplied and available to download from Dreamstime.com